In this blog, we take a closer look at eCommerce product images, the benefits of using them and the different types of eCommerce images that product photographers create.
If you’ve never heard the term ‘eCommerce image’ then we should probably start by answering, ‘what is an eCommerce product image?’.
An eCommerce image is a photograph of a product which is designed to help sell the product.
In other words, eCommerce images provide visual information to ensure they represent the product/s accurately. This means when a customer opens their online purchase it’s exactly what they thought it would be.
Ecommerce images aren’t to be confused with branding photos which are designed to visually represent a brand. Think colour palettes that match a logo and props that add to the tone of a brand’s identity. Branding photos are more than about the product but encompass the brand as a whole.
As a business owner with an online store, it probably didn’t take long to realise good quality product photos are a necessity for providing visual product information to browsers.
Without quality photography, the user experience won’t meet a browser’s expectations and sales will be limited. As business owners, we don’t set out to run a business that makes little to no sales. We believe in our business idea, the products we sell and the problems we solve for our target market.
With this in mind, there are many benefits to having eCommerce product images and engaging an e-commerce product photographer can make all the difference in the overall look of your website and your sales.
What are the Benefits of eCommerce images?
- They’re specifically designed to display your product for sale online
- They look professional which in turn makes your brand look professional and enhances its appeal
- Products can be seen and viewed clearly
- Accurate colour representation – Browsers know exactly what they’re buying.
- The customer gets a real feel for what the product is like in real life.
- With customers relying on visual content for their purchases this photography style is the next best thing to being instore and holding it in your hand
- They create credibility with new potential customers
- They add a uniform and consistent look to your business creating cohesion across your website.
What are the different types of eCommerce images?
- Deep etched Images – with shadows
- Deep etched Images – without shadows
- Deep etched multiple products in the one image
- E-commerce images displayed on a neutral colour (These are not deep etched but simply photographed on a pure colour background with nothing else)
- E-commerce images with multiple products – think product ranges or multiple product ranges.
For deep etched images, there are several angles we can use to ensure the product is captured from every viewpoint.
Deep etched image viewpoints are:
- Left side
- Right side
- From above
Investing in eCommerce content creation is an easy way to make your business look as professional as any of the big brands and help you on your journey to building the business of your dreams.
If you want to achieve the same look like the big brands and avoid abandoned carts at checkout, consider booking your next product collection for their very own e-commerce shoot.
Want to know more about eCommerce images or want to book an eCommerce product photoshoot? Book here
Sarah, Founder of Brand Eliza – Sarah is a Melbourne product photographer capturing photos of products for business women all around Australia thanks to the ease and simplicity of the post. If you have questions about the process from start to finish check out our FAQs page here