Product Photography is a winning business tool that’s fast becoming a small business owner’s best friend.
Many people have dreams of launching their own e-commerce business. Whether they hand make products, see themselves manufacturing overseas, or want to purchase products from various stockists; all e-commerce stores need product photos- not only for their website but for marketing their business on social media too.
Without photos there’s simply no way an e-commerce store or a social media account can perform in the intended way.
Which leads you to a choice- Do you try to wing it on your own and take the photos yourself? Or do you hire a professional product photographer?
With more and more busy women and mums making the shift into entrepreneurship, they often don’t have the time needed to make their product photography as beautiful as they desire.
From needing a camera and editing skills along with the crucial requirement of perfect lighting, an eye for styling and a vision to keep the imagery uniform and cohesive; It’s no easy task to take high quality photos.
Many clients come to me because they feel frustrated by how time consuming the DIY process is and because they are tired of chasing light around the corners of their house or only having a small window of time when the lighting is right. Sounds exhausting doesn’t it.
It takes time and effort to get ‘the shot’ and your valuable time and skills are better spent making your business profitable (and doing the things you are already really good at).
When you hire a product photographer, they will capture your products with premium, styled photography that will position your brand next to your competitors and help you stand out to your target audience.
There are different types of product photography and depending on your products along with how you intend to use the images will depend on the photography approach taken.
As e-commerce photographers we offer the following types of product photography styles:
- Studio Product Shots- As the name suggests our photography is shot in our home studio where we have everything needed to create your perfect product shots.
- All White Background Shots- These are perfect for your online store. They are individual product images taken on a pure white backdrop then edited to ensure they make browsing products easy on the eye.
- Using Scale To Show Size- If you have multiple product sizes ie Small Medium and Large, you can demonstrate this with each size positioned side by side in a photo. If you would like to show the size of an individual product you can use a recognisable prop next to your product which will help to represent scale in your images.
- Product Grouping- Show the whole range ie all the colours, prints, sizes, styles or varieties of your product range.
- Flatlay Photography- Made famous by social media, a flatlay photo is essentially a bird’s eye view of your product/ product collection taken from above and usually includes props to add to the flatlay aesthetic.
Most businesses will need an assortment of the photography styles listed above so they can utilise images across a broad spectrum of marketing platforms. The most common ways an e-commerce business will use their photos is via the following channels:
- On the website
- On social media
- On other online selling platforms like Amazon, Etsy eBay etc
- Digital magazines, stockist guides and look books
- Marketing collateral such as labels, product stands, product packaging etc
No matter which platform you choose to promote your business, we can all agree you want to put your best foot forward. If you are a shop owner, wholesaler or small hand-made boutique that sells products online, product photography is a business tool that will put a smile on your face every time you open your website or scroll your social media accounts.
If you have any questions about the photography process or are interesting in packages and pricing you can contact the team at Brand Eliza here. We’ll send you the details of our packages for you to consider.